Weekends, Coffee & Baseball: An Epilogue
Ballpark Mom life 101: I watched the free weeknights and Saturdays disappear into the commitment of practices and game schedules, and told all of my friends and acquaintances, "I can do anything for 8-weeks," as I enthusiastically worked my way through this new season.
And if my hiatus is any indication, we more than doubled our season between the two kids and subsequent playoffs . . . and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Season Recap
Its only fair for me to report in on how our "experiment" fared, and let me tell you--it was an exciting one:
- We were blessed with an assistant manager who actually knew how to coach the finer parts of baseball (pitching, hitting) and who also was a fellow believer
- I finally had to learn how to keep the scorebook and pitch count--both which require numbers and attention (things I struggle with--especially when distracted by your own kid behind the plate)
- Our son had a run-in with a power tool, and after 6 stitches on his glove hand, we coached a team he couldn't play on for almost a month of the season
- The inevitable drama struck due to a team made of flawed, sinful people in need of a savior
BUT
- Our little 4th place team made it to the championships in playoffs, finishing 2nd (and upsetting the 1st place team on our way there to boot!)
We are the Champions?
It was a really exciting season for our little family of four (which carried on beyond the baseball season since little sister's softball team also made it to the championships for her 2nd place finish about a month after the baseball season ended). I have to pinch myself to think that I have two athletic kids!
So was it worth it? I'd love to report that our efforts made our son into the most fantastic and enthusiastic 11 year-old baseball player ever--but I can't. It is true that he improved as he does every year, but I'd say that he still required about as much encouragement and redirection has he has every season. Sports are pretty much still ranked on the list of priorities that sports always have been for him (again, not all bad). We of course all have a deeper appreciation for the families who volunteer to take on these positions. We grew as a family as it was "all hands on deck" packing the car full of gear and prepping for each game.
But most of all, we lived out Galatians 6:9 for our kids.
My husband and I eventually grew weary. We had every reason to step down once he couldn't play (In fact, when our daughter broke her collar bone at the beginning of her softball season last year, we gracefully had her back out once we were told the recovery period since we were not coaching.), but we stuck to it. We learned to persevere and stay committed--especially when we didn't want to during those weeks of injury and late game nights week after week. We were able to demonstrate to our children that when one commits to something, its important to stick it through. They also heard every "car conversation" as we navigated difficult people issues, and lived out in front of them how to approach each situation in a way that was God-honoring and loving. They watched Dad put in the hours after work, and they watched Mom juggle the schedule and make sure all things were in order. And we didn't give up.
Beyond the Season
As I shared in my previous post, it was our goal to get in the "game" and show our kids what is important--and we did . . . it just wasn't about sports. Through the strength God gave us in this season, we were able to start the conversation and lay a foundation for what staying committed--through good and bad--looks like. They saw us rely on God A LOT and praise Him as he provided each new opportunity and person brought into the various scenarios.
I know we all will talk about this particular baseball season for years to come ("Remember that one time Dad was crazy and decided to coach a baseball team and Mom was all for it?"), but I know we will really dwell on how we saw it through and how that ties into our daily walk with Jesus. When we follow God's plan for our lives, it doesn't always play out the way we expect--but it is always so worth it--and He uses every moment of the season to draw us closer to him.
So will we be coaching any more sports teams?--not any time soon (maybe some assistant coaching, ha ha)--but we will always be living out each season of our lives faithfully as an example to our kids and those God brings into our lives along the way. And that is what true coaching is all about.
"And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we shall reap, if we do not give up"
--Galatians 6:9 (ESV)

Comments
Post a Comment