Summer Study Perk Up with Kids
Never underestimate the motivational power of a cup of coffee.
For the past few years, I have tried to use the summers to instill some Biblical habits in my kids. During the school year, most of my devotion time is done before they wake up or before bed, so it's the only time of year where they actually see me with an open Bible and a cup of coffee quietly by myself.
Step 1: The Plot
So far, I've had limited success. They seem interested, cuddle up next to me in bed, and eventually clamor to grab their own Bibles. I've even encouraged them by buying small blank journals and teaching them a few acronyms for prayer and praise, but inevitably the novelty wears off, and they would much rather wander off to go watch morning cartoons (also a summer exclusive). As they have gotten older and can read more confidently, I've purchased an actual curriculum, but I was discouraged as it became more of an exercise in teeth-pulling and not at all fostering a love for studying God's word outside of Sunday School or seasonal family devotions.
This year I was determined to be more intentional. With my oldest entering middle school, I was reminded that it wasn't until my senior year that I felt confident to read the Bible daily on my own, and I was set on not having the same delay for my own kids. I had been scoping out curriculum since January, finally deciding on Foundation Worldview's "Studying the Bible," as our 2026 Summer plan. When the countdown to the last few weeks of school began, I clicked on the saved bookmark link and downloaded the sample lesson.
I definitely could see why the curriculum is so highly recommended by apologists and parents, but I knew right away this wasn't going to fit the needs of my duo. Luckily, they have an excellent reccomended book list on the site, and I found Cold Case Christianity for Kids by J. Warner and Susie Wallace. After reading through the description and online images, knew this was the winner. With 8 chapters, shorter videos through their free Case Makers Academy, and printable activities (and kids who love to play detective), I eagerly put together my plan of attack.
Step 2: The Heist
One thing that you soon realize once you have kids is if you start a tradition with them for a holiday or special occasion, they will come to expect it (Queue the stories of how I must now have elaborate birthday displays and balloons to charge through as they wake up each year). I decided to implement a similar approach (Because then maybe it will feel more like a party than homework?--I was reaching here). With a quick Amazon purchase of detective hats and crime scene tape, a chalkboard still out from the end-of-season baseball party weeks ago, and painters tape on the carpet to create the "crime scene" we would be investigating, I was able to design some sort of visual hype the night before we would start our morning study.
But then it hit me . . . "What am I DOING exactly!?"
Gimmicks, props, "prizes" (knowing full well that my kids would continue to play detective beyond the study time)--Okay, yes, the former youth pastor in me totally came out in this moment--but is this taking away from the whole purpose?
And the whining. The main complaint that has shaken me in the past is that this feels like homework. The last thing I want to do when fostering a good relationship with God's word is to put a bitter taste in their mouths while still in elementary school. Not to mention that the discipline of daily devotions is sometimes not fun. It can feel like a chore at times, and it isn't always exciting. What exactly am I instilling in my kids with the whoop-de-do?
As I paced around the kitchen (and paused from prep to set up the coffee for the next day--very important), I had a bit of emotional whiplash: What if both things can be true?
It's true that I was going all out for this, but its also true that it's making an impression of its importance. It's true that they will be whinny, but its also true that we all kind of feel like that as adults at times (we just hide it better or have nobody to whine to because we get up at 5:30am). It's true that this study doesn't mirror the quiet time I was trying to "brew" in them through my example, but its also true that I'm continuing to approach each summer with new ideas in order to give the same message.
What I realized at 10:30pm that Sunday night was that its all about the memories. We put a ton of weight into "core memories" (Thanks, Disney), but there is some truth in the concept. My kids love (and have begun to mimic) the hyped birthday celebrations because its a memory for them that they treasure. This "crime scene" set up will have a similar effect--not that the study was important, but that this is important to ME, just like they are so loved and important to me. I'm still leading by example through the hype.
Step 3: The Trial
As expected, one kid emerged from his room and excitedly asked for permission to wake the Sleeping Beauty sister (he was brave, ha ha) to show her the caution tape across the end of the hallway. He didn't even get all the way into the living room--he just knew something fun was waiting for him, and as we had modeled for years, it was to be enjoyed by both kids at the same time.
She stumbled out as grumpy as expected, protesting that she was woken up early on her first day of vacation, but quieted down a bit as she saw the display of special "Cadet ____" binders and crime scene tape dividing the room into an obstacle course. And of course she was crabby, and the older one was super annoyed at the party pooper--but then . . . came the "coffee."
I offered them each a cup of "coffee"--flavored coffee syrup with a few tablespoons of coffee poured over a mug of warm milk--because "real" police detectives drink lots of coffee at work. Sleepy eagerly accepted the offer--not just because of how well it tied into my overall theme, but also because this is how Mom does her devotions: Bible and coffee in hand.
The Verdict
The hype was strong (and I had to make up new mysteries and crimes on the fly for them to solve every day that first week), but eventually the detective side faded. But you know what didn't?--them asking, "Are we doing Bible Study this morning?" It's only an 8 chapter book, and we will be finished with it this week only 3 weeks into vacation, but I am happy to report that they will put off cartoons and Minecraft for another dive into the study (and still ask for that cup of "coffee").
I can't say that I've instilled that love of independent morning devotions with this adventure, but maybe that's the next step. I HAVE made a good impression as to what doing a morning study can be like. I also have overcome my own aversion and fear of the dreaded whining, and took the time to continue to do that day's lesson despite the protests. And guess what? It usually stopped after a few minutes! In fact, I noticed how if I pushed forward with the willing kid and didn't dismiss the crabby one from the couch for the earned alone time, the behavior corrected itself.
With each cup of coffee (real or modified), I'm communicating that taking time to learn more about God is important beyond Sunday mornings. Even though it had some glitz and glam tied to its introduction, I demonstrated that setting aside the time is special (and can be something to look forward to). Most of all, I taught myself (once again), that training up my "cadets" takes time, effort, and patience--but it's so worth it.
And I know without a doubt, they will be expecting some sort of "wow" and a cozy cup of coffee each vacation morning and we get into God's word.
_____________________________________________________
Check out Cold Case Christianity for Kids and Case Makers Academy HERE! J. Warner Wallace makes all of these additional materials free as a part of his ministry.
I highly recommend this for kids 7-10: My son is 11, and while he really enjoyed applying the forensics to the reliability of scripture, the videos gave a little bit too much context for the day's "case" developments, and he guessed the plot before we even read the chapter, but they were perfect for my 9 year-old.
You will also be encouraged to read chapters from Cold Case Christianity by Wallace as you go, so you will be advancing in your own apologetics training as well! I was so glad I had a copy of it on my shelf already, and I did my own reading before I headed to bed the night before so I'd be ready for additional questions and to share what else I found that was interesting in our time together.
Materials to Prepare for the Study
- Must Haves:
- Copy of Cold Case Christianity for Kids (I did one for each kid so they could follow along)
- Handouts from Case Maker's Academy--for both "cadets" (kids) and "captains" (teacher)
- A folder (1/2" three-ring or portfolio) for the printable handouts for each kid
- Copy of Cold Case Christianity (You could probably do it without it, but I feel like I really helps to have the bigger picture of his main points before teaching the kid-sized portion)
- For Fun:
- "Crime Scene" tape (link)
- Clipboards for worksheets (so they can be done while cozy on the couch)
- Detective gear (link)
- Chalkboard/poster board for "wow" and to attach terms/verses from each chapter
- Index cards for terms/verses
- "Coffee" for Cadets
- 3 pumps of sugar free coffee syrup, flavor of choice
- 3 tablespoons of brewed coffee
- Fill the cup with milk to desired (or trusted) level
- 1-1:30 min in microwave to make "hot"



.jpeg)
Comments
Post a Comment