Everyone is an Apologist
Sitting in a stack of books on my nightstand is R.C. Sproul’s, Everyone is a Theologian. I have a few more titles to get through before I hit R.C., but I have been in love with the concept ever since I noticed the title: EVERYONE is a Theologian.
Not just those who are extra smart.
Not just those with fancy degrees or years of experience.
Everyone.
(That means you too).
But why is that so? With the understanding that theology is just “the study of God” and that all Christians are called to know God and His word, it’s easy to see how Sproul could make such a bold statement (and write such a fantastic Systematic Theology book).
Yet I’d like to challenge everyone to take it a step further: Everyone is an APOLOGIST.
So what is apologetics? Simply put, it is a “defense of the faith.” Now, many people have noted the connotation of “defense,” and are turned off by the potential for argument and debate. But here’s the catch–those same people will also say that we are all called to the Great Commission to go and spread the gospel and make disciples–and what will those new disciples have? Questions.
Questions have the potential to be confrontational and to create conflict, yet often conflict is just a question that needs to be answered. We need to be able to, “Hold unswervingly to the hope we profess” (Hebrews 10:23) while also, “. . . always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you” (1 Peter 3:15)--in other words, it’s not enough to just say that you DO believe, but you also be need to be prepared to give all of the WHYs.
So that’s it. EVERYONE is a Theologian, and because of the Great Commission, EVERYONE is an apologist.
As an apologist, everyone should know:
- What they believe
- Why they believe what they believe
- How these beliefs came to being (Historical background)
- What other people believe
- How to discern what they believe in the midst of other’s beliefs and culture as a whole
- How to discuss their beliefs with others and answer questions
And as I depart on this journey, I’d like to take you with me. I will be discussing my own studies and sharing resources and book reviews, documenting classes and workshops I participate in, sharing thoughts on current events and issues in society and the church, and being transparent with how this adventure has impacted my walk with God, my family, and my students.
It is my hope and prayer that eventually I will become an effective apologist, and the fearlessness that God has given me will be used to serve the Kingdom! (And that I’ll look back at this amateur and clunky first blog post with a tad embarrassment because of how much I’ve learned since then).
Let us become more effective and equipped apologists together (since you already ARE one).
Comments
Post a Comment